Bacterial Test - ASTM E2149
Standard Test Method for Determining the Antimicrobial Activity of Immobilized Antimicrobial Agents Under Dynamic Contact Conditions
In this test, the substrate treated with an immobilized antimicrobial is exposed to a bacterial suspension for one hour. After exposure, the suspension is tested to determine the reduction in the bacterial population over the contact time.
- This test is intended for use with materials treated with immobilized antimicrobial agents. Non-immobilized antimicrobials can leach from the surface into the test solution and may compromise test results.
- To determine if an antimicrobial treatment is leaching from the surface, leaching studies found in this method can also be performed.
- Testing can be performed with or without the leaching studies.
- Suitable sample substrates for this test include fabric, paper, powder or granular material, or solids with a treated surface; such as plastics, glass beads or chips, ceramics, metal chips.
- ASTM E2149-13A lists Escherichia coli ATCC#25922 as the test organism.
ISO/IEC 17025: 2017 accredited by A2LA